Hi! First off, welcome to my new blog! I switched over from Blogger to WordPress because quite honesty Blogger doesn’t support itself anymore, and I can add a storefront to this web site! My store should be up soon and I hope you’ll come back and visit.
This month it was my turn to chose the theme for the monthly challenge, and I chose forest. I made quite a few things this month, and I’m excited to show you!
The first thing I made was this large lentil bead, from a green man bead press by a Welsh glass artist. Green Man is found in many cultures, and typically symbolizes rebirth and the cycle of growth each spring. I made it using a color called Umber, and I love the different colors you get when you continually heat and press it.
After I made this bead, I used the press with some polymer clay to make these cabochons. Of course I had to add a tiny bit of pearly paint – I felt the alcohol inks needed a little bit of oomph.
Then I just made some more, eventually I’ll paint them and all will be listed in my new shop!
I also did some beading for this challenge. The first thing I made was this Game of Thrones inspired piece. I used the green man press to make a cabochon that is gray in color, similar to the weirwood trees. I used red czech leaf beads for the red leaves of the tree. The gemduos represent the dragon scales, and the silver beads represent valerian steel! I was really into it! I added some white and black crows, and this is where I stopped for now. I got some tila beads to use as the ice wall, but haven’t worked out exactly how I want to add them, so this is a WIP.
The next beaded piece I did is a Forest Fairy. I was inspired by the many photos in my Pinterest board, Forest. I used a raku face cabochon by Sarajane Helm – it’s gorgeous! I had a lot of fun making this piece, and haven’t quite decided if she will be a long necklace, or something else.
As we were getting the yard all ready for summer, my dad had some ferns to donate to the cause, and when a frond broke off of one of them, I used it on a piece of polymer clay to make a fern cabochon. Turned out ok – the clay burned in the toaster oven because I didn’t tent it, so I used various different inks to color it, and I like it ok, but I will explore this idea further through the summer!
And now we come to what I think is my favorite project for the Forest theme – mushrooms. First, I made two mushroom beads with some discontinued glass I have, and I really liked them!
But I thought, really, who wants mushroom beads? I mean, maybe someone does, but they are too heavy for earrings. Maybe for a necklace if you’re a fantasy mushroom lover! So, I made a PILE of mushrooms on the ends of mandrels, to became plant pokes or terrarium decorations. I loved making them! I made lots! Here’s a few group shots!
And here’s what I did with one; I glued it with gorilla glue onto a stainless steel mandrel. This is good for a plant poke. I will cut some smaller pieces of mandrel to make them into terrarium decorations, and they should be available in my shop too, when it opens!
And here’s a gratuitous little cactus because why not! This is my next series of plant poke/terrarium decorations!
I hope you enjoyed seeing all the things I made for the theme, Forest. This is a blog hop so I hope you’ll check out what everyone else made this month! Thanks for stopping by!